Fees, Finance & Funding

Funding your studies is a big consideration when you are coming to College.

Funding Your Studies

Funding is subject to certain qualifying criteria as defined by Scottish Funding Council policies and Student Award Agency for Scotland (SAAS) including residence requirements and personal circumstances, e.g. household income, marital status.

There are different funding options available depending on the age of the student at the official start date of the course, the level of course and whether you are studying full-time or part-time.

Additional funding may also be available to assist with registered childcare and with discretionary funding – e.g. accommodation, travel expenses, emergencies.

You need to apply for funding every year that you are attending College. Your funding application will be assessed and then you will be issued with an award letter indicating your award and your payment details.

The Scottish Government has created a website to find information on funding: Student Information Scotland.

If you need further advice or guidance please email guidance@dundeeandangus.ac.uk and one of our advisors will be able to assist you.

Please apply as early as possible once funding is open for applications.

Application for Bursary/EMA funding for courses starting in August/September will be open on the 27th May 2024.


To be considered as a Scottish home student you must meet all of the following three conditions:

  1. You normally live in Scotland on the first day of the first academic year of your course (usually the 1st August) AND
  2. You have been living in the UK for 3 years before starting your course AND
  3. You are a UK national or have “settled status” (this means you have no restrictions on how long you can stay).

If you do not meet all of these conditions, you may still be eligible for some elements of support if you meet the requirements of one of the other UK residency categories listed:

  • You are an EU national, or a family member of an EU national with settled/pre-settled status
  • You are a refugee
  • You are under humanitarian protection (as a result of a failed application for Asylum)
  • You are a migrant worker
  • You are a child of a Swiss national; or
  • You are a child of a Turkish worker
  • You are a Syrian Refugee (Vulnerable Persons Relocation Scheme)
  • You must also normally be living in Scotland on the first day of the first academic year of the course.

Further information for EU students can be found on the SAAS website.

Funding for Full-Time Courses

The level of the course you are studying and your personal circumstances decide where you can get funding and how much that might be.

Further Education Care Experienced Bursary

If you have experience of being in care at any point in your life, you may be entitled to a Further Education Care Experienced Bursary.

Funding for Part-Time Courses

Some students may qualify for assistance with tuition fees if they are studying part-time. See the details for Funding for Part-Time Courses.

Other funding options

Childcare Funding

Funding is subject to certain qualifying criteria as defined by Scottish Funding Council policies including residence requirements and household income.

If you are studying a full-time or part-time course and would like to apply for assistance with childcare cost and fall into the following categories:

  • Must have a dependent child
  • Using registered childcare costs to allow attendance at college according to the course timetable and for placement days that are a mandatory part of your course
  • A partner must be employed and unavailable to look after children

Higher education students must have applied for all available support from the Student Award Agency Scotland (SAAS) and meet the eligibility criteria for tuition fees.

Before applying you should ensure you have claimed for all eligible support that is available to you, such as free local council nursery places, preschool funding, child tax credits.

(Please note that your award will only be calculated from the date your application is deemed complete including submission of all the necessary documents).

Childcare costs are paid directly to the childcare provider and not to the student.

Discretionary Funding

The Student Discretionary Fund can assist students who experience financial difficulty while at college to help with:

  • Accommodation
  • Travel expenses
  • Disability-related costs
  • Living costs
  • Emergency situations

Students must satisfy residency requirements set out by the Scottish Funding Council to apply for the Discretionary Fund.

Funds are limited and are allocated to applicants starting in August and January. This is a cash-limited fund and once all funds are allocated applications may be closed. To apply you must have been accepted for a course and applied for and receiving the full amount of funding available to you, such as college bursary, SAAS student loan or other grants.

You must provide evidence to support your application. Student Services staff will let you know what evidence we need from you as it will differ depending on your reason for applying.


Useful Contacts