Visa & Immigration Information

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) regulates the admission of all international visitors to the UK. Dundee and Angus College is a licensed Student Sponsor approved by the UKVI.

Depending on which country you’re coming from, you’ll need to apply for a visa to cover the duration of your studies. As part of our agreement with UKVI, Dundee and Angus College has certain responsibilities and obligations.

You can check if you need a visa to study with us at the UK Government website. EU applicants arriving into the UK from 1st January 2021 onwards (if not already registered under the EU settlement scheme) may also need to apply for a visa to study in the UK.

There are three main types of visas that you can apply to study in with us depending on the course and duration of your study:

  1. Standard Visitor Visa - for courses up to 6 months.
  2. Short Term Study Visa - for English language courses only, course duration should be between 6 to 11 months.
  3. Student Visa – for all other D&A courses, with duration of 1 or 2 years.

It is the applicant’s responsibility to have the correct evidence and documents required to obtain the visa and entry clearance (for visa application or at the UK Border).

If you are applying for a visa from outside the UK, and if the visa is for more than 6 months stay in the UK, you will need to pay the UK immigration health surcharge as part of the visa application.

1. Standard visitor visa

International applicants who are 16 or above intending to study a course that is less than 6 months in duration can study in the UK as a standard visitor. Applicants from visa-exempt countries can apply for entry clearance as a Short-Term Student on arrival in the UK. All other applicants should apply for the Standard Visitor Visa.

2. Short-term study visa (Study English in the UK)

Applicants can apply for a Short-term study visa to study English language with us. This visa is for English language courses lasting longer than 6 months and up to 11 months. If your course is different to this, check which visa you need.

3. Student Visa Requirements

If you are from outside the UK, age 16 and above and you are planning to come to the UK to study on a course that is longer than 6 months, you may need to apply through the UK’s points-based immigration system for a Student Visa.

Points type Requirements to be met Number of points
Study (must meet all) Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) requirement:
- Course requirement
- Approved Qualification requirement
- Level of Study requirement
- Place of Study requirement
Financial Financial requirement (document evidence of maintenance fund of £9,207 held for a 28-day period) 10
English language English Language requirement (CEFR Level B1 and above) 10


When applying for the Student visa, you should ensure that you have all the relevant evidence/documents required for the visa application as stated by the UKVI.

Once you have provided to us satisfactory evidence of your English language knowledge, maintenance fund and have complied with any other conditions specific to the course including full payment of your course fees, you will be given an unconditional offer provided that a place is available. We will then issue the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies statement (CAS), which is required as part of the visa application process.

Once we have issued the CAS, we are obliged to track your arrival in the UK and report on any issues. In particular, we must report:

  • Non-arrival or non-enrolment at the college
  • Unauthorised absence from class
  • Withdrawal from College

It is therefore important that you understand that the CAS has been issued to you for study at Dundee and Angus College only. You are not allowed to make any changes to your status which might affect your visa. If you do so, we will be obliged to report this, and this will affect your status in the UK.

Staying in Scotland after graduation

Are you looking to stay in Scotland after graduation?

Scotland’s Migration Service aims to help you find out what options are available to you.


International Team Contact

For non-EU enquiries, if you would like to make an appointment to discuss your application or studies please contact us by emailing