Frequently Asked Questions

About the College and Dundee and Angus

  • What is a 'college'?
    In Britain a college is not a school. It is an extra level after school for students over 16, who want professional, academic or technical training or who want to enter university.
  • How do I get to Dundee?
    You can fly to Edinburgh or Glasgow airports from many cities, or you can fly to Dundee from London Stansted Airport. There is also a good train service from London (Kings Cross station).  See our travel information page for more details.
  • Where is the college located?
    We have two campuses in Dundee and another in Arbroath.
  • Is the college campus close to public transport?
    Yes, there are bus systems around all our campuses.
  • Is it possible to use email/Internet?
    Yes, there is free internet/wi-fi access in all college sites.
  • What is the weather like?
    Scotland has very varied weather, but does not suffer from climate extremes. The normal temperature range is 0C - 25C. It can be quite wet, although the east coast of Scotland is generally drier. Edinburgh has the same annual rainfall as London. In winter you will need a warm, waterproof coat or jacket, some woollen jumpers, strong shoes, a scarf, hat, gloves and an umbrella. For summer it is best to have several layers of clothing - t-shirts, jumpers or cardigans and a light raincoat.
  • What is the local accent like?
    Wherever you go in the UK you will hear English spoken with a regional accent. You will become accustomed to hearing English spoken with different accents. In class, our English language tutors teach standard pronunciation of English.


  • How can I pay my tuition fee?
    You can pay by credit card, cash or sterling cheque, or you can transfer money to Royal Bank of Scotland, Kingsway Circus, Dundee, Scotland. Sort code: 83-18-12. Account code: 00139440  IBAN Number GB37 RBOS 8318 1200 1394 40IBAN BIC RBOS GB 2L
  • Opening a bank account
    It is important to organise your financial arrangements after arriving. It is a good idea to open a UK bank account and transfer money into it as soon as possible. Banks are normally open from 09.30 to 16.30 Monday to Friday. All have 24 hour automatic cash machines. To open an account you will have to complete an application and provide the following documents:
    • Your passport
    • Enrolment Letter from the College stating your address while studying at Dundee and Angus College (available from the administration office in each campus, contact International Office if you need a specific letter with your bank detail on it)
    • Monies to deposit


  • Can I extend my visa to study in the UK?
    No. You will have to leave the UK in order to apply for entry clearance to return to the UK. This affects those who apply for leave to remain on or after 12 November 2016.
  • Can you fill in my form for me?
    No, it is your visa extension and it is your responsibility to confirm that the details are correct.
  • Is there any advice available for completing the form?
    Yes, on the UKVI website.
  • Can you tell me how much I should have for living expenses?
    The current monthly rate outside London required for visa approval purposes is £1015 per month.
    You will need to have 9 months living expenses in your account, £9,135. 
    'Established presence in the UK' is abolished so anyone applying on or after 12 November 2016 must have the full amount required before applying for the Tier 4 student visa.
    You must produce a bank statement in your name, showing the correct level of living expenses 28 days before you apply for a visa.
  • Can I transfer from a visitor visa to a student visa in the UK?
    No, you cannot change the status of your visa in the UK. You have to go back to your own country to re-apply.
  • How many points do I need to obtain a visa?
    Currently, you need 40 points. 30 points from the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS ) given by Dundee and Angus College and 10 points from your finances.
    • I need to extend my visa in 3 months, when should I apply?
      You can only apply 1 month before your visa expires.  If you apply after it expires, you are unlikely to have your visa extended.

Non-EU Students

      • Is Dundee and Angus College a UKVI Sponsor Licence holder?
        Yes. We are a Tier 4 sponsor.  For more information, see Tier 4 Register of Sponsors 
      • How much does it cost to live in the area?
        The UKVI advice states that you should have £1015 per month for living expenses in the UK (outside London).  Therefore for a 9 month course you require to have £9135 in your name in a bank account a minimum of 28 days prior to applying for a visa. 
      • Which qualifications are acceptable for entry to Dundee and Angus College?
        We accept a range of international qualifications including the Cambridge International exams. These should be at School leaver level.  We will only accept IETLS which is sat in an approved centre as proof of your English level.
      • Is there any support for international students at college?
        The International Team can help with a wide range of support for students. This includes study issues, welfare, health, accommodation, careers advice, visa issues and employment. The International Team works closely with the Student Services Advice Centres. To make an appointment please contact
      • Can I work part-time?
        Students sponsored by a publicly-funded FE college who apply for leave on or after 3rd August 2016 will not be permitted to work during study. However, you will still be able to undertake work placements.
      • Are the college qualifications recognised by universities?
        All qualifications are awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority, and are internationally recognised.   UK universities welcome HNC and HND as acceptable qualifications for a range of courses and entry is often as 2nd or 3rd year level.
      • Is there advanced progression to university?
        Under our partnership agreements with several universities you can enter at 2nd or 3rd year level with a HND.  University fees are higher than at college.  As well as paying less at college, you can achieve the same level of education and have a guaranteed place at university if you complete your college course successfully.
      • What is my entitlement to healthcare in the UK?
        As a student you have access to a doctor and healthcare free of charge, although you will need to pay for prescription medicines.

About English Courses

    • How many levels do you have?
      August to June - 6 different levels from beginner to advanced/proficiency.
    • When can I start my course?
      The main starting times are August, January, April and a 4 week summer course in July; but you can start at almost any other time if there are available at your level and the college is not closed for holidays.
    • How many students are there in a class?
      Usually between 10 and 18.
    • What is the average age of the students?
      20 - 30, though we also cater for older and younger students.
    • How can I find out what my level is?
      When you arrive we give you an informal test to find out which level is suitable. 
    • What exams do you offer?
      Cambridge PET, FCE, CAE, CPE, and IELTS preparation classes  
    • Will I get a certificate at the end of my course?
      You get the College and SQA certificates and a progress report issued by the ESOL department.