Frequently Asked Questions

About the College and Dundee and Angus

  • Where is Dundee and Angus College?
    Dundee and Angus College is a regional college in the east of Scotland which is in the north of the UK. Dundee is an education city with 2 universities. We have two campuses in Dundee (Kingsway and Gardyne) and one in Arbroath. There is an airport and railway station in Dundee and you can also arrive at Edinburgh, Aberdeen or Glasgow Airports that are easily accessible nearby. We can arrange airport transfers to assist you on arrival on request. Please contact international team for more information.
    For more information on how to travel to Dundee and Arbroath, please visit

  • What is a 'college'?
    In Britain, a college is not a school. It is an extra level after school for students over 16, who want professional, academic or technical training or who want to enter university. D&A College is a member of Scotland’s Colleges, has regular inspections and is well respected throughout the UK offering high-quality education and innovative training. There are lots of international students in Dundee which has the highest proportion of students to the population in Scotland. 

  • What can I study at D&A College? 
    Over 40 subjects from Accounting to Business to Computing to Science at Higher National Certificate (1 year) and Higher National Diploma (2 year) programmes. We have agreed articulation routes into year 2 or 3 of degree programmes with local partner universities. We have several Centres of Excellence selected by the British Council for professional partnership projects with partner institutes in India, Nepal, Bangladesh and Georgia.  Courses popular with International students range from Engineering, Art and Design, Hospitality Management, Health and Social Care to 3D Animation, Contemporary Dance to Travel and Tourism.  

  • How do I apply to D&A College? 
    You can apply online through our website, please click on "Apply Now" on the page for your selected course.  We will ask you to upload copies of your certificates and passport/visa information once we have reviewed your application.

  • When can I start my course?
    Our main start date changes year on year but tends to be towards the end of August. We ask students to arrive 1 week before the start date to participate in our course induction. We generally have 2 start dates for English (ESOL) August and January. If you are applying after the September start date fees are charged on a weekly basis. Please contact the international team for January start courses.

  • How much does it cost to study at D&A College?
    Fees are £7,875 for the academic year 2024/25, starting in August/September 2024 for a full-time programme. 

  • Which qualifications are acceptable for entry to D&A College?
    We accept a range of international qualifications including the Cambridge International exams. These should be at School leaver level. We also require an appropriate English level, e.g. UKVI approved IELTS 5.5 or equivalent or evidence of having been taught in the English medium.

  • What kind of qualifications will I receive after studying at D&A College?
    There are a range of qualifications at different levels available at D&A College including NC and NQ (National Certificate and National Qualification) with entry at Non-High School leaving certificate and HNC and HND (Higher National Certificate and Higher National Diploma). 

  • Are the college qualifications acceptable to universities?
    All qualifications are awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority. UK universities welcome HNC and HND as acceptable qualifications for a range of courses.

  • Is there advanced progression to university?
    Under our partnership agreements with several universities, you can enter at 2nd or 3rd year level with an HND. University fees are higher than college.  As well as paying less at college you can achieve the same level of education and have a guaranteed place at university. Progressing from NQ there are HNC and HND (Higher National Certificate and Higher National Diploma). These are 1 and 2 year courses which equate to university level first and second year. Many students continue after HND to University 2nd and 3rd year.

  • Is there any support for international students at D&A College?
    We have a large Student Services team which can help with a wide range of support for students. This includes Study Issues, Welfare, Health, Accommodation, Careers advice, Employment and Part-Time work. Every Campus has an Advice Centre. It is easy to make an appointment. Contact the International Advisor on
    You can download the international welcome booklet here.

  • Can you arrange accommodation on my behalf?
    The College Accommodation Officer can assist with enquiries, please contact

  • Do you have a representative in my country?
    We have representatives in many countries please email for advice.

  • What is my entitlement to healthcare in the UK?
    All international students are eligible for NHS treatment in the UK. You may need to pay an Immigration Health Surcharge while making your visa application prior to your arrival in the UK. For more information on the NHS health surcharge, please visit the UKVI healthcare guidance.

  • What is the weather like?
    Scotland has very varied weather, but does not suffer from climate extremes. The normal temperature range is 0C - 25C. It can be quite wet, although the east coast of Scotland is generally drier. Edinburgh has the same annual rainfall as London. In winter you will need a warm, waterproof coat or jacket, some woollen jumpers, strong shoes, a scarf, hat, gloves and an umbrella. For summer it is best to have several layers of clothing - t-shirts, jumpers or cardigans and a light raincoat.

  • What is the local accent like?
    Wherever you go in the UK you will hear English spoken with a regional accent. You will become accustomed to hearing English spoken with different accents. In class, our English language tutors teach standard pronunciation of English.


  • How can I pay my tuition fee?
    You can pay by credit card, cash or sterling cheque, or you can transfer money to Royal Bank of Scotland, Kingsway Circus, Dundee, Scotland. Sort code: 83-18-12. Account code: 00139440  IBAN Number GB37 RBOS 8318 1200 1394 40IBAN BIC RBOS GB 2L

  • Opening a bank account
    It is important to organise your financial arrangements after arriving. It is a good idea to open a UK bank account and transfer money into it as soon as possible. Banks are normally open from 09.30 to 16.30 Monday to Friday. All have 24-hour automatic cash machines. To open an account you will have to complete an application and provide the following documents:

    • Your passport
    • Enrolment Letter from the College stating your address while studying at Dundee and Angus College (available from the administration office in each campus 2 weeks after your started your course, contact International Office if you need a specific letter with your bank detail on it)
    • Monies to deposit



  • Is Dundee and Angus College a UKVI Sponsor Licence holder?
    Yes. We are a UKVI licensed Student Sponsor.  For more information, see Register of Student Sponsors.

  • Can I extend my visa to study in the UK?
    This depends on your current visa type. For more information, visit the UKVI Student visa guidance.

  • Can you fill in my visa form for me?
    No, it is your visa application and it is your responsibility to confirm that the details are correct.

  • Is there any advice available for completing the form?
    Yes, on the UKVI website.

  • How much does it cost to live in Dundee and the UK?
    The UKVI advice states that you should have £1,023 per month for living expenses in the UK (outside London). Therefore for a 9-month course, you require to have £9,207 in your bank account a minimum of 28 days prior to applying for a visa and in your name. You must produce a bank statement in your name, showing the correct level of living expenses 28 days before you apply for a visa.

  • Can I transfer from a visitor visa to a student visa in the UK?
    No, you cannot change the status of your visa in the UK. You have to go back to your own country to re-apply. For more information, see the UKVI switching to student visa guidance.

  • How many points do I need to obtain a visa?
    From 5 October 2020, if you need a Student Visa, you are required a total of 70 points to be granted leave from the UK Home Office: 50 points from the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) issued by Dundee and Angus College after we are satisfied that you meet all the entry requirements; 10 points from proof of your maintenance funds; and 10 points for proof of satisfactory English language proficiency.

  • I need to extend my visa in 3 months, when should I apply?
    You can only apply 1 month before your visa expires.  If you apply after it expires, you are unlikely to have your visa extended.

  • Is there any help for making a visa or a visa extension application?
    The college International team can assist. General advice is available on the UK Visas and Immigration website.

  • Can I work part-time?
    This will depend on the level of the course you are applying to study and the type of sponsor you have. Further information can be found on the UKVI website.

About English Courses (ESOL)

  • How many levels do you have?
    August to June - 6 different levels from beginner to advanced/proficiency.

  • When can I start my course?
    The main starting times are August and January; the college is not closed for the summer holidays.

  • How many students are there in a class?
    Usually between 10 and 18.

  • What is the average age of the students?
    20 - 30, though we also cater for older and younger students.

  • How can I find out what my level is?
    When you arrive we give you an informal test to find out which level is suitable or you can send us your IELTS test certificate during your application process.

  • What exams do you offer?
    Cambridge PET, FCE, CAE, CPE, and IELTS preparation classes.

  • Will I get a certificate at the end of my course?
    You get the College and SQA certificates and a progress report issued by the ESOL department.

International Team Contact

For non-EU enquiries, if you would like to make an appointment to discuss your application or studies please contact us by emailing