Frequently Asked Questions

About the College and Dundee and Angus

  • Where is Dundee and Angus College?

    Dundee and Angus College is a regional college in the east of Scotland which is in the north of the UK. Dundee is an education city with 2 universities. There is an airport and railway station in Dundee and you can also arrive at Edinburgh, Aberdeen or Glasgow Airports that are easily accessible nearby. We can arrange airport transfers to assist you on arrival on request.

  • What is a 'college'?
    In Britain a college is not a school. It is an extra level after school for students over 16, who want professional, academic or technical training or who want to enter university. D&A College is a member of Scotland’s Colleges, has regular inspections and is well respected throughout the UK offering high-quality education and innovative training. There are lots of international students in Dundee which has the highest proportion of students to the population in Scotland. 
  • What can I study at D&A College? 
    Over 40 subjects from Accounting to Business to Computing to Science at Higher National Certificate (1 year) and Higher National Diploma (2 year) programmes. We have agreed articulation routes into year 2 or 3 of degree programmes with local partner universities. We have several Centres of Excellence selected by the British Council for professional partnership projects with partner institutes in India, Nepal, Bangladesh and Georgia.  Courses popular with International students range from Engineering, Art and Design, Hospitality Management, Architecture, Health and Social Care to 3D Animation, Contemporary Dance to Travel and Tourism.  
  • When can I start my course?
    Our main start date is 27 August 2018. We ask students to arrive 1 week before the start date to participate in our International Induction. We generally have 2 start dates for English (ESOL) September and January. If you are applying after the September start date fees are charged on a weekly basis.
  • How much does it cost to study at D&A College?
    Fees are £6,500 for academic year 2017/18, start 28 August 2017 until 9 June 2018 for a 36 week programme. 
  • Which qualifications are acceptable for entry to D&A College?
    We accept a range of international qualifications including the Cambridge International exams. These should be at School leaver level. We also require an appropriate English level, e.g. IELTS 5.5 or equivalent or evidence of having been taught in the English medium.
  • What kind of qualifications will I receive after studying at D&A College?

    There are a range of qualifications at different levels available at D&A College including NC and NQ (National Certificate and National Qualification) with entry at Non High School leaving certificate and HNC and HND (Higher National Certificate and Higher National Diploma). 

  • Are the college qualifications acceptable to universities?

    All qualifications are awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority. UK universities welcome HNC and HND as acceptable qualifications for a range of courses.

  • Is there advanced progression to university?

    Under our partnership agreements with several universities, you can enter at 2nd or 3rd year level with an HND. University fees are higher than college.  As well as paying less at college you can achieve the same level of education and have a guaranteed place at university. Progressing from NQ there are HNC and HND (Higher National Certificate and Higher National Diploma). These are 1 and 2 year courses which equate to university level first and second year. Many students continue after HND to University 3rd year.

  • Is there any support for international students at D&A College?
    We have a large Student Services team which can help with a wide range of support for students. This includes Study Issues, Welfare, Health, Accommodation, Careers advice, Visa issues, Employment and Part Time work. Every Campus has an Advice Centre. It is easy to make an appointment. Contact the International Advisor on

  • Can you arrange accommodation on my behalf?

    The College Accommodation Officer can assist with enquiries, please contact

  • Do you have a representative in my country?
    We have representatives in many countries please email  for advice.

  • What is my entitlement to healthcare in the UK?
    As a student you have access to a doctor and healthcare free of charge, although you will need to pay for prescription medicines. 

  • What is the weather like?
    Scotland has very varied weather, but does not suffer from climate extremes. The normal temperature range is 0C - 25C. It can be quite wet, although the east coast of Scotland is generally drier. Edinburgh has the same annual rainfall as London. In winter you will need a warm, waterproof coat or jacket, some woollen jumpers, strong shoes, a scarf, hat, gloves and an umbrella. For summer it is best to have several layers of clothing - t-shirts, jumpers or cardigans and a light raincoat.
  • What is the local accent like?
    Wherever you go in the UK you will hear English spoken with a regional accent. You will become accustomed to hearing English spoken with different accents. In class, our English language tutors teach standard pronunciation of English.


  • How can I pay my tuition fee?
    You can pay by credit card, cash or sterling cheque, or you can transfer money to Royal Bank of Scotland, Kingsway Circus, Dundee, Scotland. Sort code: 83-18-12. Account code: 00139440  IBAN Number GB37 RBOS 8318 1200 1394 40IBAN BIC RBOS GB 2L
  • Opening a bank account
    It is important to organise your financial arrangements after arriving. It is a good idea to open a UK bank account and transfer money into it as soon as possible. Banks are normally open from 09.30 to 16.30 Monday to Friday. All have 24 hour automatic cash machines. To open an account you will have to complete an application and provide the following documents:
    • Your passport
    • Enrolment Letter from the College stating your address while studying at Dundee and Angus College (available from the administration office in each campus, contact International Office if you need a specific letter with your bank detail on it)
    • Monies to deposit


  • Is Dundee and Angus College a UKVI Sponsor Licence holder?
    Yes. We are a Tier 4 sponsor.  For more information, see Tier 4 Register of Sponsors 
  • Can I extend my visa to study in the UK?
    No. You will have to leave the UK in order to apply for entry clearance to return to the UK. 
  • Can you fill in my form for me?
    No, it is your visa extension and it is your responsibility to confirm that the details are correct.
  • Is there any advice available for completing the form?
    Yes, on the UKVI website.
  • How much does it cost to live in Dundee and the UK?
    The UKBA advice states that you should have £1,015 per month for living expenses in the UK (outside London). Therefore for a 9 month course, you require to have £9,135 in your bank account a minimum of 28 days prior to applying for a visa and in your name. You must produce a bank statement in your name, showing the correct level of living expenses 28 days before you apply for a visa.
  • Can I transfer from a visitor visa to a student visa in the UK?
    No, you cannot change the status of your visa in the UK. You have to go back to your own country to re-apply.
  • How many points do I need to obtain a visa?
    Currently, you need 40 points. 30 points from the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS ) given by Dundee and Angus College and 10 points from your finances.
  • I need to extend my visa in 3 months, when should I apply?
    You can only apply 1 month before your visa expires.  If you apply after it expires, you are unlikely to have your visa extended.
  • Is there any help for making a visa or a visa extension application?
    The college Student Services Team have an advisor who can assist. General advice is available on the UK Visas and Immigration website or from the International Team.

  • Can I work part-time?
    Students sponsored by a publicly-funded FE college who apply for leave on or after 3rd August 2016 will not be permitted to work during study. However, you will still be able to undertake work placements.
  • Can I apply for Tier 1 Post Study Work after my HND?

    After achieving an HND you can apply for 2 years leave to remain under the Post Study Work (PSW) scheme.

About English Courses (ESOL)

    • How many levels do you have?
      August to June - 6 different levels from beginner to advanced/proficiency.
    • When can I start my course?
      The main starting times are August and January; the college is not closed for summer holidays.
    • How many students are there in a class?
      Usually between 10 and 18.
    • What is the average age of the students?
      20 - 30, though we also cater for older and younger students.
    • How can I find out what my level is?
      When you arrive we give you an informal test to find out which level is suitable. 
    • What exams do you offer?
      Cambridge PET, FCE, CAE, CPE, and IELTS preparation classes  
    • Will I get a certificate at the end of my course?
      You get the College and SQA certificates and a progress report issued by the ESOL department.

International Team Contacts

We're based in Kingsway Campus, Dundee

For non-EU enquiries, you can contact the team by:
phone: +44 (0)1382 834930

If you would like to make an appointment to discuss your application or studies please contact Micholla Finnegan at: