Residency Guidelines

For Bursary/EMA Candidates

To be treated as a Scottish home student you must meet all of the following three conditions:

  1. Ordinarily live in Scotland on the relevant date (this is usually the official start date of your course) and
  2. You've been living in the UK for 3 years before starting your course (we will ask you to provide evidence of this from the Local Authority or HMRC) and
  3. You're a UK national or have 'settled status' (no restrictions on how long you can stay)

If you do not meet all of the three conditions, you may still be eligible for some elements of support if you meet the requirements of one of the other UK residency categories listed:

  • You're an EU national, or family member of an EU national
  • You're a refugee
  • You're under humanitarian protection (as a result of a failed application for Asylum)
  • You're a migrant worker
  • You're a child of a Swiss national
  • You're a child of a Turkish worker
  • You're a Syrian Refugee (VPRS)

Please be aware that there are exceptions to the above therefore please contact our Student Services Team for further help to arrange an appointment email