HNC Computer Games Development
Have you ever wondered how computer games are made? Where do the characters come from? How was the media created? What makes the code work? On this innovative and practical course, you will learn the entire game development process, from designing game mechanics and user interface to creating graphics and the finished game.
This will be a mix of practical and theoretical learning. Subjects include:
- Game Programming Fundamentals
- Game Design Theory
- Game Interface Design
- 2D Animation
- Working in a Project Team
- Project management
- Pitch a treatment
- Calculus and Matrices for Computer Games
- Game Technology
Teaching is 16 hours per week over 3 days. This will include: coding, maths problems, presentations, tutorials and self-study.
2 Highers (including one in a STEM subject) and National 5 Maths at Grade B (please note Applications of Maths is not sufficient)
Progression from SCQF Level 5/6 D&A Certificate in Computing course passing all credits
Foundation Apprenticeship in Creative and Digital Media or Foundation Apprenticeship in IT Software Development and National 5 Maths at Grade B (please note Applications of Maths is not sufficient)
Mature applicants with relevant experience will be assessed individually
All applicants must complete a personal statement.
Applicants may be asked to attend a recruitment workshop to help determine if this is the best course for them.
Method of Assessment
- Each subject has continuous assessment, which may include multiple choice quizzes, written reports, presentations or game coding.
- Graded Unit Project: Team Game Development.
Students who pass HNC Computer Games Development can progress to HND Computer Games Development.
Potential for entry level employment in games and media industries.
Alternatively, you may follow on to a relevant university degree programme.
26 Aug 2024
- Tuition fees may be paid for full-time students in Scotland subject to meeting residency requirements, applications should be made to the appropriate funding body. International Students please refer to our International fees page