The Modern Apprenticeship (MA) programme combines paid employment with work-based training and leads to industry-recognised vocational qualifications.
Aimed principally at the 16-24 age group, Modern Apprenticeships attract both new recruits and existing employees. The programme offers you, as an employee, the chance to gain skills and qualifications relevant to the nature and level of your current job without having to study at college full-time.
Modern Apprenticeships are available across a range of industry sectors and follow a framework which has been developed by the appropriate Sector Skills Council (SSC) in consultation with industry to ensure the qualifications meet their requirements.
The apprenticeship generally takes between one and four years to complete and leads to an SVQ Level 2 (SCQF 5) or above.
Find out more about Modern Apprenticeships at www.apprenticeships.scot
Modern Apprenticeships available at D&A College
- Automotive: SCQF level 7
- Business & Administration: SCQF level 5 | SCQF level 6
- Care Services Leadership and Management: SCQF level 10
- Construction Building: SCQF level 6
- Construction Technical: SCQF level 6
- Digital Marketing: SCQF level 6
- Engineering: SCQF level 6
- Engineering Construction: SCQF level 6
- Hairdressing & Barbering: SCQF level 5 | SCQF level 6
- Horticulture: SCQF level 5 | SCQF level 6
- Hospitality: SCQF level 5 | SCQF level 6 | SCQF level 7
- IT and Telecommunications: SCQF level 6
- Life Sciences and Related Science Industries: SCQF Level 7
- Process Manufacturing: SCQF Level 6
- Procurement: SCQF Level 6
- Social Services (Children and Young People): SCQF level 7
- Social Services (Children and Young People) Technical Apprenticeship: SCQF level 9
- Social Services and Healthcare: SCQF level 6 | SCQF level 7
- Social Services and Healthcare Technical Apprenticeship: SCQF level 9
We know that bringing young people in and putting them through the correct training and development is the future of the business and without this we would never be able to grow or even maintain the business, so it’s key really.
Director, A&C Precision Engineering Ltd
Young people are the future
A&C Precision Engineering Ltd provide high precision CNC turned & milled parts utilising the very latest machine tools, programming software and state of the art measurement and inspection equipment.
At the moment, three of its apprentices attend Dundee and Angus College which, according to Director Chris McKellican, is a must for the business.
“Our aim is to develop and train our apprentices to be very highly skilled CNC machinist/ engineers. We have regular meetings and updates from both the guys here and the college. It’s always positive and the apprentices really enjoy the course. It all runs very smoothly for us and we have very little to do which allows us to get on with running the business side of things.
“We know that bringing young people in and putting them through the correct training and development is the future of the business and without this we would never be able to grow or even maintain the business, so it’s key really.
“In my opinion, young people are the future of every business, so we need to give them the best chance possible to succeed.”
If you're an employer who would like to find out how the Modern Apprenticeship programme could benefit your business, please see our Apprenticeships information page for businesses.