PDA Introduction to Tutoring ESOL (ITESOL)
This ONLINE course consists of two SQA units: Language & Learning in ESOL and Developing ESOL Tutoring Skills. It is designed to provide those who are new to ESOL with the basic necessary skills and knowledge to deliver ESOL in a supported context. As well as introducing key terminology, it will provide learners with opportunities to explore the nature of language from a learner’s perspective. This is a practical course and in Semester 2 learners will plan and deliver short tutoring sessions. Online classes run Wednesdays 1-5pm and include a combination of live lessons, study groups, tasks and one-to-one tutorials. Additional tasks include research, reflection & lesson prep. Learners who live in/near Dundee will be given the opportunity to observe experienced teachers and to gain valuable skills by working as volunteers in our ESOL classes (subject to Covid regulations).
Applicants are required to have:
- National 5 (C grade or above) in English or equivalent qualification. Non-native English speakers require a level of English at Advanced level/C1 or above.
- have an awareness and understanding of different cultural values
- have basic ICT skills in order to access the internet for live lessons
- have a group of students for tutoring practice in block 2.
Method of Assessment
A range of written assessments, oral presentations, closed book tests and a portfolio of observation records and lesson planning and evaluation.
This can be the first step of a career in TESOL / TEFL, teaching in the community or working as a volunteer. Successful learners can go on to further teacher training & are guaranteed an interview for the Cambridge CELTA course.
19 Oct 2022
Wednesday 1.00pm - 5.00pm
- All course fees are reviewed annually, and subject to change. Published fees apply to the courses mode of delivery.