PDA Introduction to Tutoring ESOL (ITESOL)
This ONLINE course consists of two SQA units: Language and Learning in ESOL and Developing ESOL Tutoring Skills. It is designed to provide those who are new to ESOL with the basic necessary skills and knowledge to deliver ESOL in a supported context. As well as introducing key terminology, it will provide learners with opportunities to explore the nature of language from a learner’s perspective. This is a practical course and in Semester 2 learners will be given the opportunity to plan and deliver short tutoring sessions. Online classes take place on Wednesdays 1-5pm and include a combination of live lessons, study groups, tasks and one-to-one tutorials. Additional tasks include research, reflection & lesson preparation.
Applicants are required to have:
- National 5 (C grade or above) in English or equivalent qualification. Non-native English speakers require a level of English at Advanced level/C1 or above.
- have an awareness and understanding of different cultural values
- have basic ICT skills in order to access the internet for live lessons
- have a group of students for tutoring practice in block 2. If you live in/near Dundee we can arrange a group for you. If you are unable to come to Dundee for your tutoring practice you will need to find your own group.
Method of Assessment
A range of written assessments, oral presentations, closed book tests and a portfolio of observation records and lesson planning and evaluation.
This can be the first step of a career in TESOL / TEFL, teaching in the community or working as a volunteer. Successful learners can go on to further teacher training & are guaranteed an interview for the Cambridge CELTA course.
20 Oct 2021
- All course fees are reviewed annually, and subject to change. Published fees apply to the courses mode of delivery.