National Pool Lifeguard Qualification - NPLQ
The National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ) is the most widely recognised lifeguard qualification in the UK & Ireland. On successful completion of the course you will be fully qualified to work as a Pool Lifeguard.
The NPLQ 8th Edition contains 3 sections and each section will contain 3 elements as follows:
Section 1 – The Lifeguard and the Law, Swimming pool and Supervision
- Element 1 – The Lifeguard and the Law
- Element 2 – Swimming Pool, Hazards and Control Measures
- Element 3 – Swimming Pool Supervision
Section 2 – Intervention and Rescue and Emergency Action Plans
- Element 1 – Intervention and Rescue
- Element 2 – Rescue of a Casualty with a Suspected Spinal Injury
- Element 3 – Emergency Action Plan
Section 3 – Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, AED and First Aid
- Element 1 – Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Element 2 – Automated External Defibrillation (AED)
- Element 3 – First Aid
The National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ) is awarded upon successful completion of all 3 sections. Mostly the NPLQ will be an intensive course, delivered over 6 days, usually Monday – Saturday, 8.00am – 5.00pm apart from the February 2019 course where the days are times are different (for more information contact Pauline on T: 01241 432722). Your days will be a mixture of practical and theoretical sessions. Assessment will always be on the last day of a course via a practical and verbal exam.
To undertake the NPLQ course you must be able to:
- Swim 50m in less than 1 minute
- Swim 100m continuously on your front then 100m on your back
- Tread water in deep water for more than 30 seconds
- Surface dive to the deepest part of the pool
- Climb out of the pool unaided
Candidates should also be fluent in conversational English and be at least 16 years old. Full attendance on this course is required (all 36 hours,) in order to be entered for the exam. YOU MUST ATTEND EVERY DAY. You will be expected to complete exercises in the Lifeguard Manual during the course. If you do not turn up or are late for the start of the NPLQ, you may be asked to leave the course. To ensure you are not disappointed please arrive for the course on time.
You will need to bring with you: Shorts and T-shirt (to be worn in the water) and a towel. Poolside clothing i.e. tracksuit, shorts, T-shirt, poolside shoes (trainers). Notepad and writing materials. Refreshments
**Candidates should bring packed lunch/refreshments with them as we cannot guarantee availability of places to buy food/drink at the venues.
Method of Assessment
The National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ) is the most widely recognised lifeguard qualification in the UK & Ireland and is a recruitment requirement for a number of jobs from Pool Lifeguard to Centre Manager.