HNC Computer Games Development
Have you ever wondered how computer games are made? Where do the characters come from? How was the media created? What makes the code work? In this innovative and practical course, you will learn the entire game development process, from designing the game mechanics and user interface to creating graphics and the finished game.
There will be a mix of practical and theoretical learning. Subjects include:
- Game Programming Fundamentals
- Game Design Theory
- Game Interface Design
- 2D Animation
- Working in a Project Team
- Project management
- Pitch a treatment
- Calculus and Matrices for Computer Games
- Game Technology
Teaching is 16 hours per week, usually over 3 days. This will include, presentations, tutorials and self-study.
2 Highers (including one in a STEM subject) and National 5 Maths at grade B
Progression from SCQF Level 5/6 D&A Certificate in Computing course passing all credits and A grade in project unit
Foundation Apprenticeship in Creative and Digital Media or Foundation Apprenticeship in IT Software Development
Mature applicants with relevant experience will be assessed individually.
Completion of a strong personal statement.
Applicants may be asked to attend a recruitment workshop to help determine if this is the best course for them.
Method of Assessment
- Each subject has continuous assessment, which may include multiple choice quizzes, written reports and game coding.
- End of year Graded Team Project.
Students who pass HNC Computer Games Development can progress to HND Computer Games Development.
Excellent prospects for employment in games and media industries.
Alternatively, you may follow on to one of the many relevant university degree programmes.
28 Aug 2023
- Tuition fees may be paid for full-time students in Scotland subject to meeting residency requirements, applications should be made to the appropriate funding body. International Students please refer to our International fees page