English Language (ESOL) - Full-Time
Downloadable Full-time Courses in ESOL information sheet
This course is designed to help you improve your English language skills to prepare you for living, working and studying in the UK and to be able to use English for international communication.
Due to the COVID situation we are operating with a reduced room capacity across the campus. This means you may have some online classes depending on your level.
- qualified, experienced teachers and programme leaders
- Dundee and Angus College is a member of English UK and is accredited by the British Council
- 16 hours per week on 2.5 days a week. This consists of 15 hours tuition/directed study and 1 hour support & guidance
- beginner – advanced levels
- beginner classes will have 2.5 days face to face learning
- higher levels will have a minimum of 2 full days face to face classes with an online element including interactive online classes and directed self-study
- number of online classes may vary according to level
- normally 18 – 20 students per class, with a maximum of 22
- 34 weeks
- 29 August 2022 – 2 June 2023
- strong focus on interactive communication for all levels
- vocabulary, grammar and pronunciation
- listening, reading, speaking, writing
- English for work and study
- Scottish Qualifications Authority qualifications (units) for ESOL
- integrated use of technology
- focus on study skills
- project work with a special focus on Scotland
- regular homework tasks
- one to one support from a dedicated group tutor
- cultural visits and events – around 3 a year (free or cost up to £10 each - subject to covid restrictions).
At lower levels, students will be introduced to basic grammar and vocabulary and there will be an emphasis on equipping students with the practical language and skills that they need to participate in everyday situations outside the classroom.
At higher levels, students’ knowledge and use of language will be extended and refined and there will be a focus on exam skills and academic English. Higher level groups will also prepare for Cambridge exams. Students at CEFR B1 will focus on PET and students at CEFR B2 and above will focus on either FCE or CAE.
|9:00 - 12:00||Directed study||Online (11-12)
|12:00 - 1:00||Lunch||Lunch||Lunch|
|1:00 - 4:00||Y303
EU applicants: If you have settled status under the UK EU Settlement scheme, you may be eligible for a bursary.
EU students who do not have settled status will be classified as international students and will need to apply for a student visa. Your course tuition fee will be in line with international fees.
International applicants: £7,500 subject to annual review.
Please contact email@example.com for details.
You will need to buy course books – maximum £80.00.
Please apply online.
In order to be offered a place on the full-time course, applicants living locally must attend a group interview / information session between April - June to assess their level of English. Applicants living abroad will be asked to do a writing task which they return by email. They must then attend an information / testing day in September. All students will then be placed in a suitable ESOL group which may be in Gardyne Campus (Dundee) or Arbroath Campus.
Minimum enrolment age: 18, but we accept 16 -17-year-olds who are living with a parent or guardian. Evidence will be required.
For more information contact: Andrea Dew on 01382 834902 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Qualifications and Assessment
Learners are assessed before the beginning of the course and are placed into a class of the appropriate level. They have regular progress tests during the course. All students progress towards SQA (Scottish Qualifications Authority) Units. These are compulsory and the fees are paid by the college. Depending on level, students also progress towards Cambridge ESOL exams. The exams are optional, and the fees are paid by the students. These prices are set annually by Cambridge and are subject to change.
PET - £45; FCE - £85; CAE - £89
At the end of the course, all students receive a report detailing progress made and qualifications gained while at Dundee and Angus College.
Resources / Facilities
Our courses are located in two campuses: Gardyne Campus (Dundee) and Arbroath Campus. Learners will benefit from cutting edge resources including a fully modernised library, gym and canteen. Our students have full internet access to on-line learning systems and a specially developed virtual learning environment.
Depending on the level achieved, students completing the programme can progress to university, other college courses or benefit from their enhanced language skills to find work.
Dundee and Angus College offers you excellent support and advice regarding work in the local area, studying at university, financial and personal matters. There is a very active Student Association which works hard to get students involved in sporting and social activities. The Learner Engagement team also runs a system of class representatives, so students have a clear voice in the college.
Dundee and Angus College
Dundee and Angus College is one of the largest and best-resourced colleges in Scotland. Our English language courses attract about 500 full-time and part-time students each year. We have a well-deserved reputation, nationally and internationally, for the excellent quality of our courses and the outstanding performance of our students and staff.
We have long experience of working with learners outside the UK and have helped thousands of students to improve their English, to gain new qualifications and to realise their ambitions.
We also run successful teacher training courses in Teaching English as a Foreign Language leading to the internationally recognised Cambridge CELTA qualification.
Dundee and Arbroath
Dundee and Arbroath, with a rich historical background, are ideal bases from which to discover the beauty and culture of Scotland. With two universities and a large teaching hospital in Dundee, the area is well known as a friendly place to study and Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen are within easy access. Dundee and Arbroath offer a high quality of life, with a low cost of living.
The college does not provide accommodation, but we can help you to find it. There are also several accommodation agencies in Dundee/Angus. For more information about accommodation contact Maureen Thomson at email@example.com
29 Aug 2022
- Tuition fees may be paid for full-time students in Scotland subject to meeting residency requirements, applications should be made to the appropriate funding body. International Students please refer to our International fees page