National Pool Lifeguard Qualification - NPLQ
The National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ) is a recognised lifeguard qualification in the UK & Ireland. On successful completion of the course you will be fully qualified to work as a Pool Lifeguard.
The NPLQ 9th Edition contains 3 sections:
Section 1 – The Lifeguard and the Law, Swimming pool and Supervision
- The Lifeguard & the Law
- Swimming Pool, Hazards Control & Measures
- Pool Supervision
Section 2 – Intervention and Rescue and Emergency Action Plans
- Intervention & Rescue
- Rescue of a Casualty with a Suspected Spinal Injury
- Emergency Action Plan
Section 3 – Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, AED & First Aid
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Automated External Defibrillation (AED)
- First Aid
To undertake the NPLQ course you must be able to:
- Swim 50m in less than 1 minute
- Swim 100m continuously on your front then 100m on your back
- Tread water in deep water for more than 30 seconds
- Surface dive to the deepest part of the pool
- Climb out of the pool unaided
Candidates should be fluent in conversational English and be16 years old or more. Candidates must attend all 36 hours of the course in order to be entered for the exam.
Method of Assessment
The National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ) is the most widely recognised lifeguard qualification in the UK & Ireland and is a recruitment requirement for a number of jobs from Pool Lifeguard to Centre Manager.